Did you know that an individual should not be employed or practice human resource management unless that person is registered as a practitioner with ZIHRM?
To find out more about ZIHRM, click here
What is Human Resource Management (HRM)?
Human resource management means an application of a range of principles, practices, systems, processes, policies and procedures, tools and activities of managing human resource recognised by the Institute, including:
– Strategy and business management relating to people and organisation management,
-Organisation design and development, workforce planning,
-Talent resourcing, performance management, learning and development,
-Compensation and benefits, employee and labour relations,
– Human resource digital and analytics, human resource operations and administration, human resource audit,
– Labour law compliance and risk managementThe ZIHRM Act of 2022
What are the penalties for practising HRM without being registered?
According to the ZIHRM act of 2022 practitioner who is not registered commits an offence and is liable to:
- A fine not exceeding five hundred thousand penalty units (1 penalty unit = 30 Ngwee or 0.3 Kwacha)
- Imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years
- Both of the above
What requirements do I need to register as a practitioner?
A number of membership categories exist (i.e. student, associate, full). However, the Act generally delineated the following five qualifications:
- Possesses knowledge, training and experience that may be prescribed;
- Holds a qualification recognised and validated by the Zambia Qualifications Authority;
- Is a citizen or is resident in the Republic and has an established office or appointment in the Republic in the human resource management profession;
- Is of good character and good professional standing;
- Meets other requirements that the Minister may, on the recommendation of the Institute, prescribe by statutory instrument.
What disqualifies me from being a registered member?
A person shall not qualify for registration as a practitioner if that person is:
(a) convicted of an offence involving fraud or dishonesty under this Act or any other written law in the preceding five years prior to the registration;
(b) legally disqualified;
(c) an undischarged bankrupt;
(d) found guilty of professional misconduct by the Disciplinary Committee and the Disciplinary Committee orders the cancellation of the certificate of registration of that practitioner.The ZIHRM Act of 2022
How can my membership be suspended or cancelled?
The Institute may suspend or cancel a practising certificate if the holder:
- Is found guilty of professional misconduct, and the Disciplinary Committee orders the suspension or cancellation of the practising certificate;
- Is convicted of an offence under this Act or any other written law and sentenced to imprisonment for a term exceeding six months without the option of a fine;
- Becomes legally disqualified;
- Is an undischarged bankrupt;
- Obtained the practising certificate through fraud, misrepresentation or concealment of a material fact;
- Is de-registered under this Act.
Download the Act by clicking here
For more on the ZIHRM Act of 2022 check out Part 1.
One thought on “Part 2: The Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management (ZIHRM) Act of 2022”